View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #43
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringNovelist View Post

I don't know if what we see at Smashwords and on Kindle yet represent the slush pile. I think there are groups who are jumping ahead of the rest. Midlist writers with a backlist. Writers who have been in the "almost" pile for a little too long and realize that they just aren't marketable to a big publisher. The people who hate rejection and maybe never submitted. And the fringe who never thought of doing anything else.

So what we've got is a disproportionate number of the worst and the good but not commercial. And non-commercial works will likely be loved by a niche audience, and not by the rest of us.

Camille
I'm a writer in your category Writers who have been in the "almost" pile for a little too long and realize that they just aren't marketable to a big publisher. Several agents have told me they love my writing, but don't believe they can sell it to a publisher; three said they'd look at my next book.

But I don't think 'not marketable to a big publisher' is the same as 'not commercial'. Agents are trying to second-guess the taste of publishers, and publishers don't always get it right. There have been bidding wars for books that sold disappointingly, and surprise best-sellers.

And everyone in the publishing industry is getting more cautious and fearful of making a misjudgement. Thank goodness for the option of self-publishing.
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote