View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #17
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
if permanently outside Whispernet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Alas, that's not possible if you are permanently outside Whispernet range.

Clearly, you can download the update without Whispernet, and of course you can copy it to your Kindle. But, if I've read it right, that's as far as you can go.

If you are permanently outside Whispernet (as I am), you cannot get to the Settings screen. That's because the Kindle has no way of knowing that it's registered to you. To get to Settings, you have to get past the screen that tells you to register. Which means you can't install the update

If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me.
Why can't an Amazon customer rep fix that in their records and have it align with registration data for your Kindle?

With update 2.02 last time, they had guidance for update installations for people without Whispernet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...1manualupdates

Quote:
'Installing Software Updates Without Wireless Connectivity

Note: If you choose to download a Kindle software update to your computer and transfer it for installation to your Kindle via the USB connection, make sure you've downloaded the correct version for your Kindle model. Kindle software is only compatible with the model for which it was intended. Attempting to install an incorrect version may cause your Kindle to become unresponsive.

You can download the Kindle software update to your computer and transfer the file to Kindle via the USB connection. The update process will take approximately 10 minutes. When the update is completed successfully, Kindle will automatically restart and delete the update source file from your Kindle memory to maximize your available storage space. . . "
It says to call them if this cannot be done. It seems they should be able to get your Kindle to show the proper data so that you can access data.

I did the update manually tonight, with whispernet turned off. But my settings menu does have my registration data on it. I've not heard of others not being able to do this when they were out of Whispernet range. Some complained they had to do it manually. So, I THINK Amazon customer support or technical support should be able to make this work for you. ??
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote