View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Peekamoo
Peekamoo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
Quote:
What will you do for series that have books by different authors? How could you find a book for which you know the title but not the author? How can you find all books in a particular genre other than the ones you seem to have chosen? How do you find all books by an author who writes both biographies and whatever other genre you decide to create?

If you really want to organize things that way, my strong suspicion is that calibre is not the program for you. It seem that you are trying to emulate a folder hierarchy, and calibre doesn't help with that. Calibre was designed to have one library, and it works best in that mode. You can make virtual sub-libraries on demand using search restrictions that enforce whatever criteria you want.

I like dividing my books by genre. That is the way I shelve books on my Nook. I usually don't decide to read a book based soley on the author. If I am in the mood for a horror story, I go right to my horror section. If I want a book by, say, James Herriot, I know that he is in my "Animals Pets" section. I can't think of a single time that I ever thought, "I want to read *anything* by a [specific author] where I didn't know what genre the author was in.

Reading the posts on here, I have seen where people say that 10,000 books is nothing. If that was all in one library, my gosh, it would take 5 minutes to scroll from top to bottom.

I also use that wonderful feature to add metadata to the first page. Oh, how I love, love, love that!! I load the book onto my Nook Tablet, put it on the right shelf and when I want to read something from that genre, I simply open it, read the description and decide whether I am in the mood to read *that* particular book at that time.

Never say that calibre isn't for me. I love it. calibre is the single most loved and most used program (outside of Windows itself) that I use on my computer. (ok, besides email, but after that calibre is the 1st).

I will try using it the way you mentioned for certain books. For instance, instead of having a whole "biography" section, I can put it under non-fiction and then tag it "biography". That will work.

Thank you so much for answering my question!
Peekamoo is offline   Reply With Quote