View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help me! I think my MacBook has died!

I don't know what it is about me and computers, they always seem to die at the two-year mark. My macbook has been slowing down a little, butnthey told me that absent a ram upgrade, it's specs werempretty good, so I didn't sweat it. Anyway, today I came home from a late meeting and did my usual email check. My system froze so I restarted it and only got a grey screen with a blinking folder. I googles this on the iPad (which I am using rig now) and it suggested booting off a system install disk. So I did this and two odd things: first of all there is a beeping sound from the DVD drive, and secondly it does not seem to detect the hard disk. When I go into the system utility it only lists the DVD drive.

So...how catastrophic is this? I have a mall gift card and I get a teacher discount so I am somewhat prepared to buy a new one (although I was not planning to just yet and am resenting this a little). And most of my stuff is in Dropbox. But is there any hope it can be fixed? At least enough to do a final check of my hard drive and make sure there are not more files to rescue?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote