View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Here is an email generated 6/15/2009 regarding a comment that this reader is "rock solid" I do believe that many of these problems are fixed by now.

I noticed that you are saying the current eBook Reader is rock solid. While it works I would not go quite that far. Here is the behavior I observed.

After a boot it works for quite a while. Then you may notice that it starts missing page turns. You have to hit it sometimes up to three times to get it to take. The light indicates that the button press was seen but the reader does not take action. Another thing that will happen over time is the unit will just lock up, eventually crashing the book you are reading and sometimes crashing back to a full reboot. Once the full reboot happens then it works for a while again. When it locks up I always take a note of the page number because, after a restart it will not remember the current page but the page I started on instead.

I suspect this is a resource problem where the application is not freeing up resources when it no longer needs them, a memory leak. The memory is eventually running out and the behavior gets erratic. This is a fairly serious problem. How long it takes to appear varies depend on how many images or other resource hogs there are while reading. Jumping around also tends to bring on the behavior.

Another smaller problem, but easy to fix, it the battery gauge tends to toggle up and down after a transition. That is, it will read 3 bars, drop to 2 bars and then later back to 3 bars. This switching back and forth happens for quite a while. This behavior is because you are not latching the value. Once the bar drops, the fact that it dropped should be remembered and not allowed to jump back up until the next time you charge the unit. This will prevent this up and down movement of the bar.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote