View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #104
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
The problem with using "volcano of crap" to describe self-published books is that it is really hard to avoid the bad stuff that spews from a volcano, while it is quite easy to avoid the bad stuff that comes from self-published books. If Mount Vesuvius spewed forth some diamonds in addition to all that ash, it would be a monumental task to find those diamonds. If I had to randomly search through self-published to find the good ones, it would indeed be analogous to a volcano.

But I don't search for books randomly. The same techniques that I use to select traditionally published books work for selecting self-published books work: word of mouth, reviews, etc. If you never notice the ash and lava, is there really a volcano?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote