View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #177
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I must ask, how old is this novel? If it was written in the 1950's, it may have been a cultural reference that most readers would have been familiar with. I think it's an important point because you'll run into cultural references in modern literature, but you may choose to learn about it by means other than Google (e.g. family and friends).
Absolutely. One classic example (no pun intended) is this sentence I came across in a detective story recently:

Quote:
Like Gaul, the large picture window behind the drapes was divided into three parts...
50 years ago, the reference to "Gaul" would have been instantly understandable to any reader. Today I suspect that I'm in a minority in understanding it. Anyone care to explain it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote