View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
GHugh
GHugh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm happy to be here

Greetings;

I think what is happening to the publishing industry is the most exciting realignment I have had the luck to be part of in a very long career.

I started in 2006 morphing from a technology consultant to a mystery writer and found that the publishing industry was entering a period of massive change. My agent advised me to get on the independent author/publisher bandwagon after the deals offered by three publishers were 'not appealing'.

While continuing to write my mysteries and consult part time I studied the industry and the new opportunities. Every day I learn something new and exciting and expanded the reach to my audience and fans.

My books are sold in both e-book format and paperback globally. I get feedback from readers globally and respond. Five years ago a new author could not even dream of this kind of market reach.

On the flip side I research and acquire new and exciting books via my Kindle. A process that is so comfortable and easy, I believe e-book distribution will completely eclipse paper/print production in five years. That is a statement I would never have made prior to buying and using my first Kindle and now I shudder at acquiring a book any other way…and I am part of the generation that the traditional publishers perceive will always want a paper book.

Thanks to MobileReads for welcoming me into the group and I hope to be a contributing participant for some time to come.

If anyone has any questions about my experience outlined above and they think I may have some knowledge I can pass on constructively, do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
G. Hugh Bodell
Author of The Treachery In Turtle Bay Collection
GHugh is offline   Reply With Quote