View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #27
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummby View Post
Jeff: I think you've asked a good question about a complicated issue.

Speaking for myself, I don't typically go back and buy a paperback copy of something I've gotten for free. At the same time, I don't buy a lot of new paperbacks anyway - I typically use the library or buy them used, if I buy them at all. (Since space constraints are a big factor at my house, I'm more likely to buy an electronic copy if I buy anything at all.)

Your question raised another issue - something I've been wondering about - and you are the perfect guy to ask about it. You were one of the very first guys whose stuff I read when I first went out onto the internet and started researching about writing science fiction. You've done a lot to support other writers; as such, I'd love to hear your take on the flipside of the issue you've raised.

How can we as the reading public (and in some cases writers and wanna-bes) best support an author such as yourself? Do we download free books and send you contributions? Should we buy the backlist from somewhere (Baen, Fictionwise)? And which means more to you - the sale of a new paperback or (perhaps multiple) sales of backlist titles?
Thanks for the kind words. As for your question.......that's a good question. Any of those things you mention are helpful. One other thing that helps that you don't mention is just going into bookstores and encouraging them to carry your favorite authors' books. And telling other people about books you've particularly enjoyed.

As far as the options you listed are concerned:

1) Donations buy beer this week, and are a nice personal connection.
2) Buying backlist ebooks helps sales figures and buys beer in a few months, when the royalties trickle in. (Maybe I'll be thirstier then.)
3) Buying a paperback probably buys less beer in the short term. It might not ever reach the author in the form of cash, though it helps to earn out the advance. But it helps the numbers look better to the publisher and the booksellers, and improves the sales potential of this book and future books.

Bottom line, there is no clear answer.

So do what feels right to you, because everything helps. And what helps most of all is getting out there and generating word of mouth (or of keyboard).
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote