View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #99
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
At the risk of fanning the fire, I think there's a bit of semantics at play here, but I agree with Nate.
Wireless is a solution to meeting the requirements of a feature.

Features that use wireless could be things like:
- download books to your device from the store without using a cable. If this could be done using magic, then no "wireless" component is needed, but the feature is still useful.
- browse the internet from anywhere using the device. This could drive an implementation that includes mobile wireless (e.g. GSM) or wifi if the feature is allowed to be constrained to hotspots. Or, both.
- access your home network without a cable using the device. This pretty much drives an implementation that includes a wifi radio.
- buy and download and be able to read books from any on-line ebook store without requiring a cable. (Although I would like this feature even it required a cable. )

So, saying something has "wireless" isn't really a feature but marketeers call it a feature since it's rather vague, and allows each customer to interpret it how they want thinking they are getting features that aren't really there.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote