View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #102
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
Yeah, I guess I'm just not sure what folks expected as far as cost. Apple really doesn't care much to be competitive price-wise with these other smaller tablets. They're going to outsell them regardless, so why not do it at the highest price?

Personally, I'm rather invested in the Apple ecosystem just because I've been using it longer and have grown familiar with it. And I think it works well for what I use these things for, and I've never had any complaints. So I'm more apt to overspend on this smaller iPad (the large iPads have never really interested me) than say I would on the new Kindle because I prefer Apple's setup. Which is more important to me than pixel counts and what not. I think Apple realizes there are a ton of users out there like me willing to do the same. No need to lower the price to be competitive with the hundreds of different tablets coming out all the time when the huge user base you already have developed will pay a premium.

I really find the tech fights interesting, with the "haters" and "fanboys", since things like blind loyalty and passion have have never been aspects of my tech consumption. I've used Windows, Android, Amazon, Apple, etc for many years and really see pros and cons with any piece of technology. I just happen to prefer the ecosystem of Apple right now since it's familiar and has worked for me without issue through several different devices for a long time now. And a smaller iPad seems like something that I would prefer to my Kindle Fire, whose setup I count as worse for my needs than my iPhone or iPod.

So it always strikes me odd when some people get up in arms about overspending on "fewer specs". I think there is a large number of tech users like me, who are more concerned with the ecosystem than they are on the latest and greatest tech (knowing the tech will get outdated soon anyway, while the ecosystem has more staying power). And when we're talking about things like this new iPad anyway, or any of the other great devices around, its not like we're comparing ultrabooks to Tandy's or anything. Unless someone puts a better screen right next to the one I'm using, I'll never know what the difference is anyway.

Last edited by bugjd; 10-23-2012 at 03:55 PM.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote