View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Rework your InDesign styles so that there is no need for blank paragraphs and remove them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffMostWalls View Post
Thanks for thread. I have InDesign, and recently acquired Calibre as translation device for Kindle, which I downloaded as a test reader for things I write. So far "translation" is a murky sea, and I'd love success stories (if indeed such there be) as to inexpensive authoring software that makes layout less of a shoot-in-the-dark. My stuff is heavily dependent on precise placement of graphics and page breaks, which must be as carefully timed as the words I use.
WillAdams gives the most important answer. In any word processor you should use styles instead of blank lines to create the proper space. Blank lines is for typewriters, not word processors. There should not be a murky sea between the InDesign and Calibre conversion or other ePub conversions, however you must realize that ePub is like like PDF. It is designed to reflow, it is designed to allow the user to use a different font and other user changes. It is designed for a reading book not necessarily a picture book. If you need precise placement there is nothing better than PDF. It will take a page of Indesign and make an electronic page that exactly matches it. ePub is, by design, not intended to do that. However, there have been some offshoots of ePub by various people called Fixed layout ePub that you can read about in our wiki.

Note that Kindle, except the Kindle Fire, does not support ePub at all and Kindle mobi format has less control. Kindle Fire uses an ePub and then compiles it into KF8. PDF is still your best bet, but for Kindle you need to create a custom size page in indesign so it will look ok.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 08-29-2012 at 06:07 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote