View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre95060 View Post
Well, like, it doesn't do everything I want it to do. I would like the ability to pan and zoom an image. A map of Europe rendered to 5"x3.5" is useless to me. I spend a fortune every year with Amazon and I can't imagine that they give a damn what I do with my Kindle as long as I don't hack the DRM or try to defraud them in any way--which I certainly have no intention of doing. If someone built some software to improve the Kindle, where's the harm? Igor did a lot more hacking of the Kindle that I ever will. I just want to be able to see the pictures.

By the way, I did register my complaint with Amazon and I got no reply.

Dave E
You really haven't thought this through at all have you?

You were imagining hacking up an application to allow viewing pictures embedded in books? Well how exactly would that application pan and zoom pictures protected by DRM without hacking the DRM?

Or did you imagine you were going to extend the existing book reader application on the platform? Well ditto the above comment. You'd have to hack that application's DRM system, the one thing they're clearly out to protect, the crown jewel of the platform, to gain access to un-protected content so you can pan and zoom it.

Either way, once you showed everyone your mad hacking skillz how exactly would that code not be used to pull images and text from books?

So where did you imagine Amazon was not going to care about your activities???

You need to realize that images have always been the incestuous-love-child-kept-chained-under-the-stairs of the ebook industry. High quality images worth panning and zooming are big. Have you noticed Amazon offering up any Manga? Whispernet isn't unlimited bandwidth and they like that "On your Kindle in under a minute" tag line. Your desires may be laudable "I want my pictures and see them too!" but they run smack into the harsh realities of the technology.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote