View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #16363
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card last night. I was a little bit worried about it, given how my opinion of the author has plummeted in the 20 years since I read Ender's Game but I ended up liking it quite a bit. It's really just the story of a family with problems. The big reveal about the aliens was obvious to me from the start, and Ender's genius often seems to revolve around pointing out things that other people really should have noticed ages ago, but for all that it is a decent story and the characters feel real.

I have no intention of reading the third book, or any of the many follow-ups and spin-offs.

That leaves me with just 5 Hugo winners to read, and next up I'm planning to read another one: Double Star by Robert A Heinlein. Good Heinlein rather than Bad Heinlein, I hope. I think I might just get all of them done before the next winner is announced. Unless I decide to vote this year, and suddenly have a lot more reading to do.

I've been reading the final 9 Hugo winners in reverse order of how much I expected to enjoy them: Stranger in a Strange Land, Foundation's Edge, Hominids, Speaker for the Dead and now Double Star. I'd probably swap Foundation's Edge and Hominids, and it's possible that Speaker will rise a few places. I don't think anything I ever read will be worse than Stranger. (I didn't like it.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote