View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Creating an ext3 filesystem from the git-go can often require more ram that what you have (unless your running swap).

TIP:
Create the filesystem first as an ext2 system.
Then use tune2fs to add the journal (making it an ext3 system).

Doing the file system creation in two steps like that can be done with much less free ram.

NOTE:
Unlike ext2 (or FAT), ext3 can be re-sized "hot" (mounted and in-use).
Very helpful! thanks as ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by khseal View Post
It's cool, but also very difficult. I do not have enough knowledge to put Debian is on Kindle Touch. It would be nice to write detailed instructions or to create a package to install ...
Hmm.. I'm looking into what it actually means.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Debi...n_Kindle_Touch

would be the major stumbling block for those unfamiliar with creating the actual storage.

me@dev ~/ $ sudo multistrap -a armel -d /multistrap-debian-sid -f ~/SID/simple-config

Where ~/SID/simple-config is

Quote:
[General]
unpack=true
debootstrap=Grip
aptsources=Debian

[Grip]
packages=ntpdate udev lrzsz netcat telnetd
source=http://www.emdebian.org/grip
keyring=emdebian-archive-keyring
suite=sid-grip

[Debian]
packages=
source=http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian
keyring=debian-archive-keyring
suite=sid
should create the file system in /multistrap-debian-sid

do the:

Quote:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/debian.ext3 bs=1M count=1280
mkfs.ext3 /tmp/debian.ext3
tune2fs -i 0 -c 0 /tmp/debian.ext3
#mkdir /mnt/debian ???
mount -o loop -t ext3 /tmp/debian.ext3 /mnt/debian
EDIT: NOTE! that is 1.3 Gb you don't NEEEED one so large. I'm seeing what a good size might be.

and sudo cp -R the contents of one into the other...

Quote:
me@dev ~$ sudo mount -o loop -t ext3 /tmp/debian.ext3 /mnt/loop1
me@dev ~$ sudo cp -R /multistrap-debian-sid/* /mnt/loop1/
me@dev ~$ sudo umount /mnt/loop1

(optional)

me@dev ~$ cp /tmp/debian.ext3 ~/IMAGES-FOR-DEBIAN/debian.ext3
me@dev ~$ rsync -uvL --ipv4 --ignore-times --progress --inplace ~/IMAGES-FOR-DEBIAN/debian.ext3 root@kt:/mnt/us/debian.ext3
do a umount /mnt/debian and then shove the debian.ext3 on the Kindles FAT partition... via sftp or w/e

(in progress, takes about 15 -20 mins over wifi for 1.3Gb for example, drink Tea)

Last edited by twobob; 11-30-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: sudo, umount not unmount, optionally rsync
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote