View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Avatar had Cameron's name recognition, and neither Alien nor Terminator were originally big budget films - the bigger budgets came in with the later installments.
I know about Cameron's pull in H'wood. And he knows how to make smashes. (More, he knows when *not* to get involved.)

My point is: Ron Howard is hardly chopped liver.
http://boxofficemojo.com/people/char...er=DESC&p=.htm

He's not Cameron, certainly, but his career gross is close to $3billion in (inflation adjusted) box office and his *average* runs $145 million per movie. And he got there by making a lot of mid-range grossers, not a couple of smashes and a bunch of turkeys.

The guy's directed 33 movies, produced 65, Won 2 Oscars and another 32 industry awards out of 48 nominations. He does good work.

Also, by current standards $100 million for a big-scope SF action adventure is hardly a big deal. (Just ask Disney.) And this is a project with built-in sequels and spinoffs. Merchandising potential up the wazoo.

I'd be more inclined to believe Universal doesn't *have* $100million to invest in a single movie than to believe Howard doesn't have the pull to get the money.

If he is really interested enough, the movie will get done.
So the real question is, how badly does he want to make it?
(Also, how long does his option run. )

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-30-2012 at 01:05 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote