View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I suggest to go and try using the "idme" command (I guess it's also there on the K2) to set the serial number and board ID of your new motherboard (back it up!) to the data of your old motherboard. I think this is the logical approach after failing to retrieve or change the WAN MAC address.

Additional note: If it's somewhat like the K3, the WAN MAC address is stored in a section at the beginning of the flash memory, near where the serial number and board id are stored. Should be retrievable and changeable by someone who knows her/his hex editor.

As for the question "Now, I wonder why they sell these motherboards if they can't be used?", I guess the answer simply is: "because people buy them" and this way, they can make a bit of money out of the debris left after having destroyed the screen substrate in some stupid accident. I guess these boards won't ever work as a replacement out-of-the-box.
But it's fraud. My thought was that they're normally sent out with the matching SIM card, but it was omitted in my case. Trying to get in contact with PowerBookMedic Customer Support.

I've programmed in hex back in the days of the Commodore 64. Do you mean you can launch a hex editor on a pc and alter the contents of the card? What hex editor would you use for that?

Update: I gather from talking to their customer support that it didn't even occur to them that there'd be this kind of limitation, and their technical support didn't even think there *was* an onboard SIM on these mobos. They wanted me to send them a picture with the SIM slot prominent. I don't know how you could miss it, but I complied. Haven't heard back yet.

Last edited by freewheeling; 11-14-2012 at 02:16 PM.