View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
Traecer Prime
Connoisseur
Traecer Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
AvantGo is Adware

I actually tried the AvantGo on my Palm a few months ago (I guess it wasn't the 2005 release, but it wasn't too long ago). I deleted it almost immediately. The syncing process actually seemed to take longer than it used to a few years ago. (I didn't do any empirical tests, so take that with a grain of salt.) The worst part, however, was the browsing experience: AvantGo is FULL of ads. And these aren't the mildly annoying ads from before; these ads get in your face at every opportunity. There are tabs with nothing but ads, and some of the channels required you to view an ad before viewing the channel. Plus, you must supply more information about yourself than ever before, so you can be targetted more effectively. It is a shame, because the screens looked nice; it could very well be a good web browser. But I'm not installing such annoying adware on my PDA in order to browse the web. OTOH, I have a Tungsten T3, so I already have a (lame) browser; others without a browser may not have a choice.