View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #56
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
In this case, I think he won because:
  1. He was right -- they did rip off his work.
  2. His case was strong enough for a good law firm to take it on contingency. Thus, he didn't have to front any money for the lawsuit. Rather, the law firm covered their own expenses because they had a strong expectation of collecting their contingency fee (typically 30% of the collected amount, although it can vary).
  3. The potential size of the judgement (if successful) was large enough to get that law firm's attention. Probably wouldn't have worked if the lawsuit was only trying to recover a few tens of thousands of dollars.
I'm only guessing about these issues, but these seem to be likely factors.

Xenophon
And also he was A.E. van Vogt, a not incosiderable giant within the field. I doubt very much that internet-writer number six million and one (i'm six millionth) would have even been listened to.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote