View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Just a couple of thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
Overall impressions:
5) PDF reading is a pain -- mostly for the scrolling needed when its in a readable font and having to hit right arrow/left arrow once space at a time. Line end/line start would be better or smart calculation of characters per screen the best.
PDF's are pretty much a pain on any reader (even assuming they support them). Ultimately the only solution is if a reader properly supports reflowable PDFs. That being said, my personal impression of PDFs is that scrolling at least worked faster than in eInk where the screen refresh times are slower.

Quote:

7) Smart font translation would be another handy feature. I was using txt files converted from other formats that'd sometimes still have ASCII character codes in them.
Actually, the problem is that the character codes you see represent characters that are not available in ASCII (which is why they show up on the screen). The fault lies with the conversion program, not the ASCII reader. My general solution is that if I convert books into another format, it is generally custom sized PDFs (as such the scrolling issue doesn't exist).

Alternately, it is not hard to map out a conversion of the encodings to alternate ascii characters (Generally the most common one is the medium length '-' which I generaly replace with --.).

Quote:

9) The fonts 'bleed' more than I'd like. Its LCD, there is no reason edges can't be crisp.
Actually I wonder if you might have gotten a bumb screen on your reader. The experience of most Jetbook owners is that the screen is very sharp in comparison to e-ink screens.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote