View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Jetbook feedback after a week

I've had my Jetbook a week now and its going back to the store :P. The reason for the return is screen funkiness -- about 20% of the time the LCD screen 'wiggles'. I'm suspecting it may be a heat issue as I had the black reader in the Caribbean and it seemed to mostly be peak heat times that this occurred. I'm going to switch to an e-ink device (probably the Kindle 2). The wiggles make me very, very wary of the long term survivability of the screen -- especially for anyone in a hot climate. Even now that I'm back to a more temperate climate don't trust the longevity of the device.

Overall impressions:
1) I settled on it expecting the rumored future MOBI and ePUB support.
2) It was cheap ($190) compared to the others (from Frys).
3) Font selection was perfectly fine for me. I stuck with 16 or 18pt. It automatically opens the first time per book at 20pt -- some global for this would be handy.
4) Smart wrapping of some sort which strips leading an trailing spaces would have been nice (for justified books). I'm not sure if this is an issue with all Readers.
5) PDF reading is a pain -- mostly for the scrolling needed when its in a readable font and having to hit right arrow/left arrow once space at a time. Line end/line start would be better or smart calculation of characters per screen the best.
6) The landscape/portrait option was nice but I never used it beyond playing with PDFs.
7) Smart font translation would be another handy feature. I was using txt files converted from other formats that'd sometimes still have ASCII character codes in them.
8) I read it for hours at a time at the beach, on the plane, on the deck of the hotel and didn't notice any eye strain. I did get some squinting in direct sunlight types of things but I'm sure that'd be the same with any Reader. I think I read 5 novels read in 7 days so it wasn't lite reading.
9) The fonts 'bleed' more than I'd like. Its LCD, there is no reason edges can't be crisp.
10) I did occasionally wish for better lighting at times but a booklight would fix that issue.
11) The low battery message would pop up every so often when it was 1/3 full which was an annoyance even though it kept going for a long time (seemed like hours) after the nagging started. The battery meter tells me its 1/3 full, I don't need pop ups reminding me and interrupting my reading until its about to go critical.
12) 11 could be fixed with a finer line in the battery meter instead of just thirds.

I didn't use the MP3 player or other options. It was just to read books.

artifact
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote