View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #560
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjallenupthehill View Post
Well, that's a fair point!

The thing here is that not all views are necessarily of equal value in every instance.

In respect of a discussion regarding design infringement, to comment meaningfully, you ideally need to understand the principles. In your case, if you don't understand or value the visual design, any point you make about copying this (or not) is going to be basically flawed.
I have heard that argument before, and it might even have some merit. I have been involved in just about every area of cell phone design and even managed some specific projects before I retired. So I have directed or worked with people involved in most of the design areas going into a cell phone product, and that is where I came up with the analogy I used that sparked your next rebutal. In the particular area that this thread is discussing, I think that gives me some insight concerning this instance. I am not, and have never said, that all visual designs can be considered trivial, but the visuals designs Apple sued over were most certainly trivial and not worthy of patent protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjallenupthehill View Post
Whoa, that's a bit of bit of a sweeping statement isn't it? It's a point that is just waiting to be proved wrong.
I don't think so, since I had a specific instance in mind when I wrote. Way back around the middle of my industrial career, I designed all the hardware, software, ASICs, product packaging and UI (visual) design of a moderately complex microwave radio product. Nothing nearly as sophisticated as a smartphone or even a feature phone. My UI design was well received by the target audience, although I am sure that a professional designer could have done better. In my experience I do not know of a professional visual designer that could have done the visual design and the rest of the product design. Maybe I could be proved wrong, but I sincerely doubt it.

You can accuse me of short attention span, but I am getting tired of this fork of the Samsung vs. Apple debate so I intend to stop posting in this fork for a while.