View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygirl351 View Post
Hi all,

My brother and I are going in together to get my sister an ereader for christmas. This will be her first ereader. She was at first a bit reluctant but realized that since she is a very fast reader and a traveler, she is often without something to read. Now I have a kindle keyboard and absolutely love it, my brother has the first gen Nook and loves his just as much. We are now trying to figure out what to get my sister. We are both willing to go either way and are looking at the wifi only one of each. She isn't tied to either ecosystem and actually goes to independent bookstores the most. She is somewhat computer literate and can learn quickly once taught how to use something. I always thought the nook interface was more complex , but my brother thinks the opposite and thinks kindle has more convoluted menus. We are kinda at a stalemate as to what to get so opinions from those that have either would be welcome.

Thanks,

Becky
I think that besides the interface, which is important indeed, you should think about the device's ergonomics and online ebook store.

You said that she likes independent authors. But you don't mention if those titles can be found on B&N or Amazon, maybe both. That's an important thing, because for Kindle, ability to sync books across devices, even a PC, is a big bonus.

The Kindle keyboard has landscape. That probably does not sound like a big deal, but for poetry, PDFs and computer books, is a big advantage. Nook, as far as I know, does not, and in case you try to read a PDF, you will be limited to a very small screen an size letter.

The support is also important to me, because like it or not, electronics fail. Even though B&N has stores all over USA, most sales representatives have no idea what they are talking about, even on the phone; that has been my personal experience in several stores here in Texas. So in case of problem, she could spend endless hours trying to get a device fixed or returned with B&N without any luck. Amazon's customer support has a reputation of being very good.

On the positive side, B&N allows you to read any book, for free, 1 hr a day as long as you do it in-store. If there is a close store where she lives, that's a nice feature in my opinion.

If she can find their books on B&N online ebook store, I would say go Nook. I honestly don't like new eink Kindle devices. They lack of buttons and the 3G version does not have landscape mode.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-06-2011 at 12:26 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote