View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
JRG
JRG began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Just ordered a DR800SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenr View Post
Be aware that your order may be delayed. I ordered one from BB a week ago, and I got the dreaded "Your item is backordered" email
I placed my order on 2010-05-15 (Saturday afternoon, local time), and received notice from BestBuy on 2010-05-17 (Monday afternoon) that my purchase had shipped. Indeed, it is now in the hands of UPS, and headed in my direction. So, BestBuy is in fact currently shipping the DR800SG.

However, the purchasing experience was a challenge, because BestBuy's shopping cart repeatedly refused to accept the shipping address I had provided. In fact, I have two possible addresses, and BestBuy claimed that neither of them was a valid shipping address. [Each was, in fact, correct and known to be acceptable to both USPS and UPS.]

It took better than 30 minutes of repeated attempts to arrive at a rewording of one of those two addresses that BestBuy finally accepted. [It wasn't my correct address, but UPS will be able to use it.] In that process, I was several times informed by the shopping cart that shipping was free! Ultimately, shipping was not free, but that cost was trivial compared to the sales tax.

I'd say BestBuy's shopping cart software would benefit from the kind of thorough beta testing that the V2 firmware is currently receiving. I wonder whether some of those "backordered" messages others have received were actually sent in error. And I also wonder whether iRex has done itself any favors by committing to an exclusive (in the U.S.) sales arrangement with BestBuy. I'd gladly have gone to some other vendor, just to be able to enter my correct shipping address, once, and be done with it.
JRG is offline   Reply With Quote