View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #27
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I know that some people don't buy ebooks with DRM as a matter of principle, but that gives control over what I read to others, and that is not acceptable to me.

Regards, Alex
Buying books with DRM only encourages the publishers to put DRM on books. Sure, it's easy to remove DRM, which is a reason to not use DRM, not a reason it's OK. Only loyal customers are hurt by futile copy protection attempts.

If I buy a book I want to be able to read it whenever I want. I don't want to be forced to buy it again or break the law if I choose to buy a reader in future that doesn't support the DRM.

The publishing industry is continuing towards the same failures that have taken a chunk of value out of the music industry.

And I agree that publishers shouldn't control what we read, but I'm willing to miss out on a few books if it means that I give my money to authors and publishers who don't actively try to stunt the usefulness of new technology in a doomed attempt to protect their current business model.

(FWIW since the music industry became mostly DRM-free MP3 I have been buying more music than at any time since I was in my late teens/early 20s. It's cheap and easy and I don't have any barriers to buying any song I want almost instantly and I know they will work on any device I have now or will have in the future. Why should books be any different?)

On the other hand...it IS great that there is an Australian ebook store. As soon as they start selling DRM-free books I'll become a regular customer.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote