View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #514
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Within those, merely human, limitations, I can only say that the charitable donations I, personally, make are based primarily on two things: a desire to help others who are less fortunate than I, and an acceptance of a responsibility to use the resources in my keeping in the service the God that I believe in.
Your wish to fulfill your desire is a form of egoism. I am thinking about the philosophical discussion of altruism. Doing something because it is a responsibility might also be problematic in the same way that altruism is problematic.

It was "reflects individual virtue" I felt was not a correct description if there was a large part of egoistical thinking involved. But maybe I am using another definition of "virtue" than was intended.

Last edited by tompe; 02-05-2009 at 07:56 AM.