View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #513
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mike View Post
tompe - you are still ignoring my first point, which is that most charity is domestic and not reflected in foreign giving numbers.
Oh, I missed that since the original statement was about foreign aid.

I would say that in some countries you do not need domestic donation since you have a working welfare system. Which seems to me to be a much better solution to the problem.

Quote:
Your claim about charitable giving being an example of egoism rather than virtue is a splendid example of advanced philosophical thinking.
Pretty basic philosophical thinking. If you use terms you have to understand them. You claim for the reason of donations seems to me to be more of wishful thinking.