View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaniac View Post
And why sony add no folder option?

Without the possibility to store books in folders the navigation with a dozen books is very bad. And what should a man do with a inserted SD card and with maybe 1000 books in one folder? Scrolling till dead?

The other one is, can I sort the books at any way to filenames?

I got a lot of PDFs who the informations are not stored 100% correct inside and the sorting is not correct then.

1: Folders
drmaniac, the Collections system on the Sony Reader works quite well as a folder mechanism. Open up your Sony eBook Library, select 'Help', and then go to 'Managing Content'. In 'Managing Content' select 'Grouping Books (Collection)' to learn about how Collections are used.

I find grouping all the books by one author together very useful. When one opens turns on the Reader one can then sort by Date, Title, Author or Collection. Of these, I find the sort by Collection the neatest variant.

2: SD Cards
From my experience, having the Sony Reader try to select from 1,000 or so books on an SD card is a waste of time and energy. The Reader does not have the processing power to behave like a computer, so why get it to do so? Far better also to conserve battery power for reading rather than sorting etc.

A better way of managing your book collection if you must carry 1,000 books with you at any one time, might be to have a series of SD cards sorted alphabetically by Author. In effect this will give you a Collection within a Collection system. SD cards are now so cheap that this is perfectly viable.

For myself, if I am travelling I invariably take my laptop with me and this will hold my library. I keep 100 or so books on the Sony Reader (I find this manageable and fast) and if I want to read one on my laptop, I simply upload it and bob's your uncle.

3: PDFs
I'm afraid I have no experience reading these on my Reader. I use the laptop for PDFs as I prefer the greater processing power, and screen size.

Last edited by kesey; 10-11-2008 at 06:51 AM.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote