View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher0808 View Post
Why do you feel the need to use Calibre with the Kobo Touch? I am a newbie to this and am curious.

I downloaded the Kobo application software on my computer as well as Adobe Digital Edition and I find I have no problem downloading books using either applications.

Is there something special about Calibre that I am missing? Thanks in advance.
There are a lot of dif formats of books out there. Calibre can manage those books for you and convert from a format say mobi or lit to epub. There are some epubs that people have scanned into the mix by hand. You can use calibre to download information about the book, set up series, authors, tags for searching. For example say you have a book on magic for beginers you could set up a tag to be magic, magic for beginers, my magic books etc. or in my case i usually set it up as the series name. Now say you want to know what the book is about, Calibre can grab that information as well and store it with the book, some ereaders can use that information and display it for you .
Now say the cover you have is ugly and the book you have seen at the book store has more apealing look well calibre can change that cover or even create a custom (albeit custom covers tend to be plain) cover.

Calibre has a great video that can show you how its done. Its well made and explains things and shows you as he explains it.

http://calibre-ebook.com/demo

Now say you have a book that has DRM well there are ways to remove that DRM so that you can use the book you own on all your Ereading platforms.

Also if you wanted to just manage your colleciton and say tranfer only a few books at a time you can do so. There is small learnign curve but Calibre is so well deisned that you will be able to handle it very quickly.

good luck

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote