View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Yes, Apple is completely screwing up. They "only" made $25 billion in Q3 2012 from iPhone and iPad devices, and are trouncing Android in the tablet market.

In comparison, Samsung apparently pulled in $7.5 billion from smartphone revenues from June 2010 to June 2012.

Sometimes, market share is not the end-all and be-all of business.
This is of course true, but the real question is how long can they make that kind of profit as their market share dwindles? There are many examples of this kind of strategy failing in the long term, including at Apple. And of course what's great for a company's bottom line isn't always what's best for consumers.

Microsoft is following a similar strategy on the software side with Windows 8, which to me looks like they pretty much handed the mobile market to Google on a silver platter and opened the door for others to make inroads into PCs. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out over the next 5 years.

I certainly do not like the industry trend of more closed ecosystems. But I'm not a big fan of Google's privacy invasions either.