View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #25
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Second is fine. Although obviously it should be "Jane yelled" and anybody who thinks different should be burned at the stake, or staked at the burn as you would have it in your topsy-turvy world. Would you write "yelled she"? No, you would not. And certainly not after a dose of stake-burning. First example is heinous. [...]
From Waltzing Matilda by Banjo Paterson:
Quote:
Up jumped the swagman and sprang into the billabong,
"You'll never take me alive", said he,
But he was Australian, and they were lyrics, so maybe that doesn't count, so lets try Great Expectations by Charles Dickens:
Quote:
"Yes, sir," said I; "him too; late of this parish."
[...]
"Blacksmith, eh?" said he. And looked down at his leg.
[...]
"Yes, Pip," said Joe; "and what's worse, she's got Tickler with her."
[...]
"Don't you know?" said Mr. Jaggers.
Maybe you don't like Dickens, let's try Thomas Hardy:
Quote:
"Nor you to mine," said he.
[...]
"I thought so too," said Mrs. Newson.
That was browsing my free ebooks. Let's trying something more recent. John Irving in The Cider House Rules:
Quote:
"Right," said Homer Wells.
[...]
"She was always that," said Homer Wells.
How many more do you want to burn?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote