View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I did't know anyhting about the OED beforehand - apart from the name - and it was really interesting to learn about its history - as well as historical context. I know a bit more about British Victorian times, but this was a new angle.

One thing I did not care so much for, was the mix of facts and fiction. I know hard facts can need a little dressing up to become palatable, but in this case I caught myself early on, thinking the book was fiction, and then wondering why it could get chosen when it was decided the March book club book should be non-fiction. I had a small moment then.
I generally don't like mixing this much fiction into the facts - the lines are too blurred for my taste. It's like historical programmes on TV - they like to dress things up, but it very often feels a bit 'off' to me.

All in all it was good. I felt caught up in the story and looked forward to getting back to the book, though it didn't excite me to the point where I would stay up late just to read
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote