View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #54
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Yes, I fully agree with you regarding the specs. It is an issue that should be discussed within IDPF. I think that the main problem here is that IDPF designed ePub as both a source format and an end-user format.

From a source format perspective, there's no reason to discuss these sort of issues. But from an end-user perspective, you really need to think about these sorts of problems.

Pagination can be a real resource hog: ask Kovid for example, when he wrote his LRF viewer. That's also one of the reasons why LRF books are pre-processed on the desktop if you use Sony's software to transfer books to your PRS.
I'm hoping that people are going to get rid of the concept of pages. THey dont really add anything to the reading experience (of a reflowable format) and make reading software a lot more resource intensive. If I ever write an epub viewer it will be without pages and wont suffer from the need for the epub to be sliced into parts.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote