View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why, Kovid? The tools available to convert to MobiPocket format are, with the greatest respect, just as good as those available to convert to LRF format.

... and why convert at all, if you don't need to?
No, they're not even close, but lets put that aside, since I'm obviously biased

The OP has stated he wants to maintain a collection of deDRMed, format shifted books. Let's consider the two most open and most powerful formats, epub and pdf. The SONY currently has the best epub support of any device, the Cybook, doesn't support it at all. The PDF support on the SONY is superior to that on the Cybook.

As I have explained on a number of other occasions, if you want to maintain your own library, mobipocket is *not* a good format to do it in. If I were advising someone to looking to build a private library, I'd advise them to build it in epub. And the SONY and perhaps the iPhone are the only devices that allow you to enjoy an epub library today.

The only real advantage to MOBI is widespread avaialability to *DRMed* content. Since it is the format that is the easiest to deDRM, it makes no sense to purchase a MOBI only device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote