View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #39
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
The top five books Brits claim to have read but haven’t really are:

1. ‘Pride & Prejudice’

2. ‘The Lord of the Rings’

3. ‘Jane Eyre’

4. ‘Tess of the D’Urbervilles’

5. ‘The Hobbit’
That's a funny list. I think that the people who lie about reading Tolkien are probably not the same as the ones who lie about reading Austen, Bronte and Hardy. But maybe I'm wrong.

Funny thing is, I read most of those books several times, I think the only one I read only once was Tess, though I'm not sure about Jane Eyre, I read it recently and I think I had read it before but I'm not sure.

About lying, I think emellaich is right, if you read a lot you won't feel threatened or embarrassed to admit you haven't read a specific one, but if you're not big on reading you may feel guilty or ashamed to admit it.

Personally I wouldn't lie about a book I haven't read. On the other hand, there are books I tend not to mention I have read, although if asked outright I would admit to it.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote