View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Okay, two more things. First, it is allegedly very easy to root a Nook simple touch, which means you can run the kindle app on it. Second, if you don't want to root it, you can always download plugins for calibre that automatically strip drm when you upload books. Just google "apprentice alf" or drm calibre. This will allow you to convert Amazon books into epub and read them on the nook.
Generally I'm a big fan of modifying gadgets & tinkering around with stuff. I used to play around with linux, customize everything and compile my own kernel and such, or jailbreak, unlock my iphone/ipad, root my android, etc... but for a single purpose device like an ereader, IMO it's better to use it as it's designed for. Because everything on it is fined tuned for its specific purpose, from battery life to user operation. For example, yes you can install the kindle app onto the rooted NookSTR, but you lose the hardware optimizations so that you get slower operation and it lacks user definable page refresh(1-6). And to some(myself included), touch screen on an eInk reader is not necessarily desirable.

I would recommend getting them both to test them out and return the one you don't like. Reading the specs and other people's reviews are helpful, but the only way to truly know which one you prefer is to use them few days yourself. Both B&N and Amazon have good enough return policy for you to do that.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote