View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #27
thermopyle
Enthusiast
thermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx View Post
Could someone create a piece of code in Calibre to just take the string of "tags" (separated by commas), disassemble it into the list elements (=tags), sort them to be a unique list and turn that list into a directory structure? That way, we could use tags to organize.

Example:

A book has the tags: History, English, Fiction
The tags variable: "History, English, Fiction"
Sorted: "English, Fiction, History
Directory: X:/documents/English/Fiction/History/book.mobi

As far as I understand, that way each book has a unique folder location, has just one copy and ACK can generate the collections from the segments of the path.

What do you think? I'd do it but have almost zero programming skills.

Regards, Mixx
It's possible that the creator of Calibre could add this type of output creation. He seems pretty open to requests; have you tried asking him to do this?

It's something that could work well. Manual management of the tags field would still be necessary, I think (some of the books I have came with a ridiculous number of tags, which is unhelpful), but some people might like that. Personally I'd rather declare a few columns for tags that I'll use (as described previously), since with individual columns you can sort by content. A Read_Status column, for example; if you click on the column header, you can sort by whether you've read books in your library. Then it's easier to go through and make changes to that status as you read the books. But we all have different preferences, I suppose.
thermopyle is offline   Reply With Quote