View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #112
greglim
greglim began at the beginning.

Device: boyue t80s, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The reason for FAT32 is that it is compatible with Windows. ext2/3 is not. So Windows users won't be able to use ext2/3 and that's most of the customers.
Yes. I know that.

Here's the deal though. The EZReader actually runs Linux. So do I. I'd bet there are others that use it for a desktop, too. I would not suggest this unless it had zero impact on those already using the device.

Linux will transparently handle both FAT32 and ext3. There is no reason both cannot be enabled. The code to make it work is already in there. Trust me on this. I build a Linux distro for Sparc CPU's as a hobby.

Quite literally, they need only change a 'N' in a certain config file to a 'Y' and rebuild their firmware and it should work.

And yes, ext3 works just fine over USB. Most of my portable USB media is ext3, with just one or two as fat32 and ntfs.

Some other fun stuff:
ext3 supports symlinks and hardlinks... Meaning that you can store your book on the filesystem just once, and have it appear in multiple places.

So you can have something like this, but "book1" and "book2" only actually take up the space on your SD card *once*. With appropriate tools, this is not hard to accomplish.

. .
. |-- author
. | |-- date1
. | | `-- book1
. | `-- date2
. | `-- book2
. `-- genre
. `-- author
. |-- book1
. `-- book2

(Sorry about the spacing here - I can't get it to line up right, but it was meant to illustrate sorting two ways: 1) by author->date->book and 2) by genre->author->book)

Hope that helps!
-Greg
greglim is offline   Reply With Quote