View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
very often - i would never buy an mp3 which has been compressed to 128 or lower. Rather than do that would opt for buying the CD & ripping it myself at a higher bit rate.

For music I want at least 192, voice can be much lower but a bit rate of say 32 or less could indicate that the original source was low quality cassette tape & you can expect fuzzyness / drop outs. recorded in mono is also often a sign of an old book reading which is being re-packed as a "new" CD version.

the ID3 tags are there so that a good media player, with customisable columns will show you exactly what you want -to see, no more, no less. it's part of may case for arguing NOT to add audio support to calibre as it already exists in so much other software

we get many audio books from local lending libraries for my ageing mother-in-law & there are big quality differences as you go from book to book. And quality matters when choosing for older folks whose hearing is not what it used to be!

as another example , a while ago I tracked down a MP3 copy of author William Gibson reading his book Neuromancer.
This was probably originally recorded on cassette tape in mid-80s, and the audio quality was so bad that it was better to pass on hearing the author read his own work & instead get a modern professionally read version
Your point on Quality is valid, But as you also pointed out, you would take care of that BEFORE adding it to a Library.
BTW This duck started his audio collection before the 'Stereo LP' was available in stores
Dropouts for well cared for tape should not be a problem (looks at shelf of Quad open reel tape )
Copies of copies always = cr*p (wow, flutter and poor speed control in cheap DC motors)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote