View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #547
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
Yes - customised to [A. B. ]

Jr.
Dr.
Ph.D.
Ed.

all trigger it :-)
There is logic in the plugin already for this, but it didn't handle permutations involving trailing periods. The Find Duplicates plugin I copied part of the logic from strips periods out, but of course I can't do that in this plugin because that rather defeats the point of what the check is trying to achieve.

I've put in place a more complex checking mechanism which should handle the most common permutations. However it also has to be balanced with a desire to not cause it to miss too many genuine initials. i.e. An author name "JR Ewing" should not be ignored just because the initials happen to match one of the special ignore words list. Likewise DR, ST etc. in the end the compromise I took was to rely on casing in combination. So Jr, Jr., jr and jr. will get ignored, but JR, JR. and J.R. will be treated as initials for consideration.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote