Thread: I bought it
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@faterson - the distinction is perfectly logical.
Only when you already know what you know as a developer (what you've just explained above). From the point if view of a user simply attempting to adjust page margins, it will be -- at least initially -- surprising to see horizontal and vertical margins configured in 2 completely different places of Marvin's user interface. I'm afraid many new Marvin users might initially reach the conclusion also made by Quexos: that Marvin only allows the adjustment of left & right margins. (What about a "Vertical margins setup" hyperlink on that in-book settings pane?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@Quexos - Have you tried Volkhov? It's quite heavy.
Volkhov is a fabulous, distinct font. Its only drawback is, it only works for Western European languages, so for all other languages, I need to use a different, less distinct font. Another distinct font resembling a bold font by default, is Futura -- but again, only for Western European languages. So, I often need to resort to fonts like Georgia or Verdana which, while very nice and perfectly readable, aren't very "thick".

PS: I've observed an interesting difference between how the Volkhov font behaves in Marvin on iOS and in Moon+ Reader Pro on Android. In iOS, if you display a non-Western European language text in Marvin using Volkhov (or Futura), the letters missing in that font are replaced with the appropriate letters in a default font (Palatino or Helvetica in Marvin, maybe?), so that the text, overall, is still readable in Marvin; it only looks "jagged". In contrast, in Moon+ on Android, the missing letters are replaced with little square empty boxes, so that the text is not readable at all. I'm not sure who's to blame for that -- Android or Moon+, or who deserves credit here: Marvin or iOS, for handling such "emergency situations" better.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote