View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
This is the old argument I had with Goodreads; some of us want to format our works like actual authors and not fanfic- spewing phillistines. HTML has no provision for a first- line indent, and from what I've seen the software engines will strip out any attempt at using a style sheet to provide one.

The response I remember getting was, "Well, maybe its time for grammar to adapt to the internet instead of expecting the internet to adapt to grammar."
Wouldn't the following work?

<p>
& nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; & nbsp; Paragraph starts here....
</p>

or

<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
<!--
P {text-indent: 30pt;}
-->
</STYLE>

(just put a <p> code at beginning of each paragraph, </p> at end, and a simple search and replace)

I'm not very HTML literate, but aren't there any provisions for defining styles within the HTML document (besides separate CSS files)?

Personally, I am so accustomed to reading block paragraphs a la internet style that I don't care about first line indents, just double-space each paragraph. No biggie. I long ago go over the hang-up that block paragraphs are a format fit only for "fanfic- spewing phillistines" (sic) since worldwide, far more words are published in block paragraphs (by a large margin) than traditional first line indent-style.

'Course, then again, I much favor Mr. Labatt's finest beverage over "fancy-pants" beverages such as wine, so I'm definitely of the more blue-collar, pragmatic, utilitarian aesthetic.

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 03-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote