View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@user_none - thx for that info. Yes I must confess in my random sampling of ePub page counts I found the published value was between 50% and 65% of the Calibre calculated value. So that sounds like using your mobi calculations as the "first choice" would be a nice default. I guess the problem is that means you would get very inconsistent results in your library though, depending on which format you chose. And that would rather negate the intent of the plugin, allowing you to compare at a glance books to see if you wanted a "quick read" versus something to get stuck into.

Perhaps the solution to that is to not use Calibre's page count from the EBookIterator, and to instead replicate your apnx approach for ePubs. What are your thoughts on that - is that feasible in your opinion?

@Nyn - thx for your thoughts. Provided both ePub and mobi used "similar" algorithms, then hopefully it should be mostly immaterial which you ran (assuming they are a conversion of the same edition of course).
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote