View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #63
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
The point of course is that there are no perfect security measures that only inconvenience the guilty and NEVER, EVER inconvenience the innocent. Welcome to the real world.
It would be nice if we lived in a world where it was always butterflies and rainbows but in this world we have to make trade offs between convenience and security.
DRM is imperfect but the restrictions it imposes are not that great and indeed most people never encounter them. Whats your substitute for DRM?
And what is your main point? What does your post have to do with me wondering who was made responsible for uploading or selling stuff they have stolen from me?

You sound like it was okay to punish billons of innocent people as long as some have been guilty. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Please come back down to planet earth and stop comparing speeding motorists to book pirates and make it sound like downloading a book was a security thread to every living person on planet earth. People downloading a book will certainly not kill people. Speeding might. Pointing a gun at someones head and pulling the trigger most certainly will.

But neither of that has got something to do with wanting to have your book free of DRM - nor does wanting to have books free of DRM make you a potential pirate.

You make it sound as if someone wanting to buy a book that has no DRM was as bad as terrorists, drunken drivers or the like. That's ridiculous and insulting, IMHO. I'm not stealing the food out of somebody's mouth just because I want to buy from Amazon but read on my Kobo, for example...

DRM is not only imperfect, it's completely useless - unless it was created to annoy paying customers. It does not stop people from pirating stuff. It only prevents honest customers from reading their books on whichever device they choose to read them on.

DRM and criminalizing innocent people is no effective measure. People accused of something they didn't do time and again will ultimately commit the crimes they were accused of. If you've been made to believe that you are bad, you may end up acting bad. And why shouldn't you?

What could be a good measure? Making it easy for people to get their stuff legally, providing a safe way to get their books and pay for them. Offer good products. Well written books with good formatting and editing, with a cover and table of content, maps large enough to read, at least on the computer screen (and not tiny like a thumbnail). Set a reasonable price. Offer discounts. Make the book something special a pirated version can not offer (like the hand signed book that was mentioned). How about book flatrates? Like being able to download 3 books for 9 USD a month, for example. Giving away the first book of a series to get people interested in buying the rest.

I guess I could come up with more ideas. Future would tell if any of these would be useful. I know I'd be interested in various of these...

Publishers need to think out of the box instead of thinking that all their customers are potentially bad people they have to shut in so they can't commit the crime they were surely about to commit.

Last edited by Jaden; 02-20-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: added the missing "have"
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote