View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #231
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
For those of you posting to this thread, could I ask for a quick update? What your current setup is, what worked vs what didn't work, etc.

I'm looking for a way to effectively use a dvr on over-the-air HD content. We don't have cable or a satellite connection, but the DSL connection is going to get lots faster soon. I know I can find recent episodes on places like HULU.

What do I need to record a show from the air and replay it in HD (when the original was broadcast in HD). My TV is currently hooked up to a roof antenna, so I'd need to also hook up a tuner card or such. No cable box. I could be convinced to buy a new Blue-ray player with wifi or such, if it would make things work easier.

What do you recommend?
Sadly, I gave up, or better yet, my wife.

I can't help you with the recording question, did not get there yet, but I will comment my experience, like pros and cons.

If you, your wife or family are into "live" shows or news, it will be a difficult move. I am not, but my wife is. After almost two months without cable, had to move back because was having lot of complains from her ... an unhappy wife is never good, specially using same TV or living under same roof.

She wanted to watch the shows now! Her mom and friends were commenting, texting, etc, so was very frustrating for her. Hulu does not provide live content.

I know sounds silly, and I know we're spoiled here in USA, but it did not work for her.

To me, it was a great experience. As a matter of fact, I kept the Roku and now is on the smaller TV, different room. The only thing I don't have there or is better with regular TV cable are the live news and sports, like soccer or tennis games.

If you are into soap operas, live news or TV shows that you want to watch same day they came to air, Internet TV is not for you.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote