View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro
I wonder if it would be possible to buy the firmware from Baen and apply that to a STAReBOOK with the eRead software. Considering its the same hardware I'm sure it'll be just a marketing issue not a technical one.

As much as I like the STAReBOOK with its default firmware, the ability to read .txt files would rock,

micro
Wouldn't know. (smirk) After all, NAEB was formed from a group of Baen's Bar participants and is *NOT* part of Baen, the company.

However, since to the best of my knowledge - and I'm saying this as I've not had a chance yet to take the guts out of the case and start checking serial numbers on the Bookeen reader - the Bookeen device is *supposed* to be made by STAReBOOK, this may well be possible. Of course, you'd have to download an updated/improved version of the NAEB software from the NAEB site, once there is update software available.

If, and I say this as a former programmer, the Bookeen device is exactly the same as that of STAReBOOK's at the hardware and OS level - and at this time I believe it is - updating/changing the applications should work the same way. Not having a STAReBOOK to hand, I can't tell you what that entails, although from what I've read on the STAReBOOK site, this should be just a firmware download through either the USB cable or the SD memory card. That's one of the things I want to check out when I get my evaluation unit from Bookeen.

Which brings up yet another point.

If any of you have experience in embedded programming on the Samsung ARM processor under Linux and would like to help in adapting the Bookeen reader to support FBReader and eReader (the non-DRM'd versions you can make using eReader Studio) ebook formats, then by all means let us at NAEB know. This is not an area where I and the others excel.

Again, feel free to drop on by our website and pre-register if you're interested.

http://www.naebllc.com/

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote