View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Victim of Geography

Haha, made you look. You thought this was about geographic restrictions didn't you?

This month's literary bookclub vote got me thinking about where the authors of the books I read are from, so I went into my handy spreadsheet of what I've read where I have a tab for authors and the countries they are from and found these probably not that shocking numbers.

Number of books read by 'country':
Code:
185  United States
105  United Kingdom
 32  Canada
 12  India
  9  Japan
  8  Ireland
  6  Australia
  5  China, Cuba
  2  Afghanistan, Albania, Czech Republic, France, Norway, Russia
  1  Brazil, Dominican Republic, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Nigeria, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Austria
Which made me sad. So few countries I've read anything by and so few Canadian books as well. Okay, I classified Rohinton Mistry as India instead of Canada, but that made sense to me. And, yes, Scotland isn't really a country, but I did think of giving Newfoundland it's own entry as well.

What I want is for people to name some options from countries that are underrepresented in my list (say Germany and Poland) as well as countries that aren't on my list like maybe the entire continent of Africa.

I can't read anything but English so I'll have to read translations in a lot of cases, but I just don't know what's available or worth reading that's out there from many countries.

So what should I read from what country? Name me a country and some of your favourite reads.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 10-08-2013 at 09:15 AM.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote