View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #237
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, I love it. I really don't watch that much TV, but it is used to record the news and science/nature programs and I can even, check the local channels or watch live (or record independently) on my computer downstairs...or my laptop... I love it!

Integrates perfectly with Windows Media Center.

$20 more at amazon, I haven't seen it pop up again on woot, but they do tend to repeat deals on occasion.

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HD.../dp/B004HO58SO
At one point I saw it on Amazon for the same as the woot price but it changed within an hour and I missed it. Honestly, it's worth it at full price. Mine runs flawlessly. I've had it for... oh, maybe 7 months and I've never had to restart it or anything.

I watch a lot of TV. I blame it on my upbringing. But I've started consuming more online media and DVD content (ripped to the PC) lately. I added a Roku and PlayOn media server to my setup recently, which also serves local media files from the computer it's installed on. Everyone laughs at me for keeping and loving my CRT TVs, but that 360p video from youtube that looks like crap on the HD monitor looks GREAT on a standard definition display.

Tubecore plugin lets me access PlayOn in WMC, and I also have Media Browser installed on that machine. I can use it as an HTPC while serving to two devices with no issues, and since there are only two of us in this house, that's plenty. My backend is good to go, I just need to beef up the network so I can push all sources more easily. HD video is a network hog. When the HDHR is sending out two HD streams on top of whatever else is going on in the network, my old Linksys sometimes gets a little overwhelmed.

It's a shame WMC doesn't get more love. It is the masterpiece within Win 7. I'm not afraid of anything requiring extensive geekery, but no one has made anything that works as well with live TV on Windows. Media Portal has the functionality, but it's just too much trouble even for me. Myth works well on Linux, but no one has successfully ported it to Windows in a working manner. XBMC has TV in the dev build now, but it requires a Media Portal or Myth backend running on the network. I'm not a developer, but something tells me it maybe doesn't need to be as complicated as it currently seems to be.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote