View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #33
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
For my two cents, this publishing pundit is most likely correct; rather, he and the other members of the publishing industry will ensure that he is correct. Regarding the issue of e-book market share, the venerable format of reading suffers from the "post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy imposed by skittish business people. Time and again, it seems that the reason for e-books generating only two percent of the total sales is because only two percent of the books published are available in the format.
Seriously, this just makes me angry; well, no one wants thiproduct that we never advertised, derided in the press, barely made accessible, and priced thrice as high as its competition! This is a rant, but without unscrupulous "rowdy teens" causing music labels to hemorrhage money thanks to the magic bullets of MP3's and the internet, digital music would be languishing in the same manner of e-texts.

@ the person concerned about art books: Microsoft's Surface could suffice to make the whole coffee table the art, and I ultimately hope that colour e-ink will allow for a similar experience, or possibly OLED screens.

@ critics of the high price of hardware (i.e. Kindle, PRS, &tc):
hardware is all ways pricey in the beginning. So long as the content stays reasonable, supply/demand demons will lower the price.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote