View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #112
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Yes, and I agree that's dodgy. It was referring to lowering prices to stimulate demand as a "trick" that he "openly admits to" which puzzled me.

Andrew
Note: I didn't say "dirty trick", just trick.

It's as much a trick as any other card trick.
Mis-direction and illusion. Nothing wrong with it. Just sneaky. Clever.

Try definition 3a, here:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trick
Quote:
3a (1): a quick or artful way of getting a result : knack <the trick is to make it look natural> (2): an instance of getting a desired result <one small adjustment will do the trick>
Marketting is by definition a matter of finding new tricks to get people's attention and make them buy your product. As a rule, marketters don't brag about their tricks and ploys (if you prefer that synonym) because they usually hope to repeat them.

Locke, however, apparently thought that talking to the Guardian about how he got people to buy his ebooks at the higher price instead of waiting for the next discount period wouldn't hurt his sales.

There *is* a school of thinking that there is no such thing as *bad* publicity so this whole thread might be serving his interests right now.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote